Sunday, September 8, 2013

The theme for my first blog in my hydrology class is erosion and flooding effects. Both of these topics cover the force of water. In the summer of 2011 I had several of my family members affected by the flooding on the Missouri River. I was able to watch the process of preparing for the flood, the activity during the flood, and the aftermath after the water receded. I then became curious about learning more about how flooding changes the landscape both good and bad. My family also has a ranch in central South Dakota along the Cheyenne River. Much erosion can be seen along the Cheyenne and on the ranch land draining into the river. Once the topsoil is washed away, it is very difficult for grass to regrow. Water drainage also creates deep washouts that can be difficult for cattle or horses to cross. I am very interested in learning more about good practices to slow the erosion in these critical areas.

I feel a good blog is one that is interesting to read, while providing accurate and useful information. Blogs should not bore you with all the intricate details but summarize the important points. It should be fun and pleasing to the eye. A good blog will keep to it's topic so that followers know what to expect.

5 comments:

  1. The process of flooding and controlling the erosion is crucial if agriculture is going to used the fertile soil of the river banks to grow the nation's food. I think that this topic will be a fun one to read about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great topic. I'm looking foreword into reading about the pros/cons of the 2011 flood on the Missouri River. Working for the fisheries department in Pierre last summer, I know a lot of fishermen were having trouble in judging where sandbars were now located and sometimes getting beach on them. And also, propellers getting ding up from derby (boulders)which now rest in heavily boating areas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very intriguing--it will be great to learn more about how drainage affects agriculture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flooding and erosion are two very serious topics that affect a lot of the population. I remember back in the mid nineties when North Dakota and South Dakota flooded so badly. I had friends and family that had there homes destroyed by the water. It is sad to see so much ruined so easily. I think this is a great topic especially now with all the bad flooding in Colorado. Looking forward to reading more on this and hope that you can maybe post updates on the Colorado flood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am interested in learning more about the pros vs cons on flooding. As part of the National Guard we do quite a bit with helping when it comes to flooding, so I think this is an interesting topic.

    ReplyDelete